Thursday, October 11, 2012

Carretera y manta - The road and a blanket


And if the blanket is one of those woolen beauties that grandma used to own, even better. Because if it’s chilly it’s freaking cold when you’re riding a bike. Robert M. Pirsig says in his ‘Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance’, that physical discomfort is important only when the mood is wrong. Meaning, if you’re in a good mood you won’t mind not being all comfy as you would be at home, wrapped up in your Snuggie and curled up in a ball as you fall asleep watching something stupid on TV.

You read this sitting in your couch by the radiator and you nod thinking ‘this man is absolutely right, such wisdom’. You read it again on top of a mountain at night, in a tent, inside a sleeping bag zipped all the way up over your head as the temperature drops to 40 oF and well, let’s say nodding doesn’t come so easily then. On the positive side, the sleeping bag was a good purchase and it keeps me warm enough to have a snooze.

Three days on the road. Behind me are the depressing industrial sites of New York and New Jersey and I am now facing the endless forests of Maryland and West Virginia. I’m making slow progress because I’ve had to stop often to buy accessories and reorganize my luggage, which still hasn’t reached its ideal configuration. I’m in real need of highway footpegs fixed to the sides of my bike so that I can stretch my legs and place the backpack with all the video stuff on top of the gas tank. If I can’t stretch my legs then the bag rests on my knees, or I have to suspend my legs in the air which not only makes me look like a lame ‘Easy Rider’ fanatic, but after 4 hours I might as well have climbed up the Kilimanjaro. To avoid this I have tried placing the backpack in the back, but that means I have to move the tent and tripod on top of the saddlebags and that messes with the balance of the machine. Roro is doing well, but she’s still uncomfortable with the disposition of our cargo.

Weather? Good but could improve, just like how my schoolteachers often graded my papers. Cloudy since I left NYC, with bothersome showers, today is the first time the sun has shown its face and when I saw it this morning my delight was beyond measure. Not quite as if I had won the lottery, but close. A cloudless sky and I’m already more cheerful. If I come across a Walmart or anyplace I can buy some snow-resistant thermal underpants, I’ll be a happy man.

I am writing from a café reminiscent of New York, surrounded by Autumn trees with Autumn-colored leaves, enjoying a very posh Chai Latte and a bagel with some equally fancy and stupid cream spread. I was aiming for your run-of-the-mill road Diner, where an overworked waitress named Flo would pour me a watery cup of brew and take my order of two sunny-up eggs, calling me Sweetie while some ashes fall from her cigarette onto my coffee cup – Sorry Carlota, I stole your phrase -, but I guess I’ll get to that scene further South.

Well, it’s getting late and I must take to the Road. I will be really grateful to those believers out there if you pray so the weather stays nice and clear. And those of you who don’t believe say a little prayer too, you never know.



Here comes the Sun.


Y si la manta es gruesa de esas de lana de la abuela, mejor. Porque cuando hace fresquito, en la moto se convierte en un frío de cojones. Dice el autor de "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" que las incomodidades de tipo físico solo se convierten en un gran problema cuando uno no está en el estado de ánimo adecuado. Es decir, que si estás de buen humor no te importa tanto no estar tan a gustito como cuando en casa, abrigadito en un snuggie, coges la posturita y te quedas dormido en el sofá viendo cualquier estupidez en la tele. Uno lee eso desde el lado del radiador en su casa y asiente con la cabeza, pensando "que gran razón tiene este tipo, que profundo". Uno lee eso en un bosque en la montaña, de noche, bajo una tienda y embutido en un saco de dormir cerrado hasta la cabeza mientras la temperatura baja hasta los 5 grados centígrados, y bueno, digamos que lo de asentir con la cabeza no le sale tan naturalmente. La parte positiva: el saco de dormir fue buena compra, me conserva lo suficientemente caliente como para poder echar alguna cabezadita.

Tres días en la carretera, dejando detrás los deprimentes parajes industriales de New York y New Jersey y enfrentando los eternos bosques de Maryland y West Virginia. Avanzo poco porque me paro cada dos por tres para comprar accesorios y reorganizar el equipaje, que no acaba de funcionar. Necesito malamente unos reposapiés montados para poder estirar las piernas y así llevar la mochila con los aparatejos de video sobre el tanque de gasolina. Si no puedo estirar las piernas la mochila queda levantada sobre mis rodillas, o tengo que separar las rodillas de tal manera que, amén de parecer un pato ridículo que ha visto demasiadas veces "Easy Rider", después de cuatro horas siento las piernas menos que Rambo. Para evitar eso he montado la mochila detrás, pero entonces la tienda y trípode tienen que descansar sobre las alforjas y no es precisamente ideal para la estabilidad de la máquina. Roro aguanta bien, pero no le acaba de convencer esta disposición de los bultos. 
El tiempo, bien pero podría mejorar, tal y como maldecían sobre mi las notas de mis profesores del colegio. Nublado desde que salí de NYC, con lluvias molestas. Hoy es el primer día que ha salido el sol, y verlo por la mañana al despertarme ha provocado en mi una alegría difícilmente describible. No tanto como la noticia de que me tocara la lotería, pero casi. Hay cero nubes en el cielo, y me siento mas animado. Si encuentro un Wal-Mart o similar para comprarme un par de pantalones interiores de estos de resistencia polar ya seré un hombre feliz. Escribo desde un café estilo neoyorquino, entre bosques otoñales color, pues eso, otoñal, donde he disfrutado de un Chai latte de lo mas pijo y un bagel con no se que invento de crema bastante presumida también. Yo esperaba encontrarme con un diner cutre de carretera en el que una camarera con cara de aburrida me sirviera un cafe aguado y unos huevos grasientos y me llamara sweetie mientras se le cae la ceniza del cigarro en mi café -perdona Carlota por robarte la frase-, pero supongo que eso no lo veré hasta mas al sur. 
En fin, se me hace tarde, he de coger la carretera. Agradeceré a aquellos que crean que recen porque el tiempo se mantenga así. Los que no crean, que recen también, por si acaso.



2 comments:

  1. Que envidia me das, pese a la lluvia y los inconvenientes de equipaje. Y que gusto, que gusto leerte. ¡Espero más! Un beso, amore.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que bueno!!! yo también quiero conocer a esa camarera!!! espero la encuentres y le hagas una fotito... un beso a Roro, la super campeona!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete